ITACE for CLIL Teachers

The Interuniversity Test of Academic English (ITACE) for CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) Teachers is developed and administered by all members of the Interuniversity Testing Consortium (IUTC):

  • Ghent University: Ghent University Language Centre – UCT
  • KU Leuven:
    • Leuven Language Institute – ILT
    • University Language Centre of the KU Leuven – Campus Brussel
  • University of Antwerp: Linguapolis – Language Institute of the University of Antwerp
  • Vrije Universiteit Brussel: Academic Language Centre – ACTO

These language centres have collaborated to create their own, flexible language test to be offered as an alternative to existing standardized tests. All partners involved in the development of the test have extensive experience in teaching and assessing academic English. Their expertise, together with the recommendations of external international test experts, ensures that the ITACE for CLIL Teachers is a reliable test that meets international test standards.

The ITACE for CLIL Teachers assesses English proficiency to enable participants to obtain a C1 certificate, using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This certificate can be used to fulfill the C1 requirements for CLIL teachers in Flanders. It should be noted, however, that the sole aim of the test is language assessment. As such, it is in no way intended to reflect professional efficacy in general.

All sentences, texts and listening fragments used in the test were taken from a wide range of authentic teaching and lecturing contexts. The writing and oral tasks have been designed with a broad teacher population in mind to ensure that topics are accessible to teachers from all disciplines.

This website outlines the structure of the test, samples a few typical test questions, and offers study tips. However, the test centres do not offer any practice material or training sessions specifically designed to prepare participants for the ITACE.


The ITACE is not an online test: it can only be taken at the campuses of one of the universities mentioned above.